First thing you should know about me when it comes to this recipe is that I do NOT like steak. I know, I’m a little weird but I’ve never liked it and I never eat it. Which is why it has taken me this long to finally make this Cheesy Steak Skillet even though I had been eyeing it for a few months. The rumor going around was that it was delicious so I finally gave in and fixed it. I knew if I didn’t like, at least my hubby would.
Did I mention that this is totally 80 Day Obsession approved!?
Did I also mention that I in week 1 of Round 2 of this amazing program? I’ll be sharing my review and progress photos soon so stay tuned!
Cheesy Steak Skillet
- 1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. ghee (organic grass-fed if possible), divided use
- 1 Lb raw beef skirt steak
- 1/2 tsp + 1 dash sea salt
- 1/2 tsp + 1 dash ground pepper
- 1 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves, finely chopped garlic
- 2/3 dry long grain brown rice
- 1 2/3 cup low-sodium organic chicken broth
- 1 tsp ground Tumeric
- 1/2 tsp ground Paprika
- 1 1/2 cup frozen cut green beans
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese
- Heat 1 Tbsp. ghee in large heavy-bottomed (or cast iron) skillet over high heat until wisps of smoke begin to rise.
- Add steak; sear for 3 minutes on each side (for medium), or until deep brown. Remove steak from skillet and place on a plate. Season both sides of steak lightly with 1 dash salt and 1 dash pepper. Set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tsp. ghee in same skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until onion istranslucent.
- Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Add rice; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until rice begins to brown.
- Add broth, turmeric, paprika, remaining 1⁄2 tsp. salt, remaining 1⁄2 tsp. pepper, green beans, and carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium- low; gently boil, covered, for 45 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is almost completely absorbed.
- Slice steak thin, on the bias, against the grain.
- Remove lid from skillet; lightly fluff rice with a fork. Place sliced steak on top. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Replace lid and let rest for 10 minutes