This isn’t your Billy Madison, school lunch Sloppy Joes! It’s totally possible to take those old comfort foods and turn them into something healthy without losing the flavor. These Turkey Sloppy Joes are full of flavor and perfect for when you’re craving that comfort food. And bonus, it totally goes with my meal plan for the new program I’m doing, 80 Day Obsession!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 tsp olive oil, divide use
- 1 lb raw ground turkey, 93% lean
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups all natural tomato sauce, no sugar added
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 slices low sodium whole grain sprouted bread
- Finely chopped parsley, for garnish
Here’s what you do:
- Heat 1 tsp oil in large skillet over medium heat
- Add turkey, stirring frequently to break up the turkey, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the turkey is no longer pink.
- Heat remaining 1 tsp. oil in second large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Add onion mixture, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce, and maple syrup. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add turkey to tomato mixture. Mix well. Reduce heat to medium-low; gently boil, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until sauce has thickened.
- Place a slice of bread on each serving plate. Top evenly with turkey mixture (approx. 1 cup).
- Sprinkle each serving evenly with parsley before serving, if desired